Friday, June 13, 2008

Niagara Falls; Day 1

So, it's 2 am; (ish) and I just find this is the best time to write. Steve is asleep and so is Elvis. I am wide awake. Maybe it's because I went to BED at 9 pm!!! Woke up and it is 68 degrees in the house! That's with the a/c off and just pulling fresh air thru the vents. What a difference from the 97 degrees in Gettysburg.

Left PA yesterday and to conserve $$$$$ (lest someone has to get a job whose name begins with Steve) we are trying to find free places to stay occasionally. So, we stayed at a "Flying J" truck stop last night. It was pretty scary. Big big trucks fly by you every minute or so. But it's safe and free, so I can adapt. We met a couple who travel with, yes, 16 dogs!!! I wonder what their motorhome smells like. So, left there and headed up here to Niagara Falls. I was only good for about an hour, then had to nap in the back. We thought we were out of the mountains, but Steve drove us thru 3 hours in the Allegheny's. He said it was best that I wasn't watching the roads. Pretty hairy turns and the lady (that's being nice) on the GPS keeps trying to take us on little roads that were apparently designed for go-carts. Suffice to say, we made it to Niagara Falls proper.

Found the campground easily; had a lot of trouble getting parked in the spot I wanted. But he did it! We took a short drive to the Falls, with Elvis, so we couldn't get out and take pics. Just wanted to see where we need to be tomorrow. We are doing the "Maid of the Mist" boat tour, and a couple of other touron (that's half tourist/half moron) sites. Leaving on Saturday. Am a little concerned that we are going on Niagara Falls on Friday the 13th. Not over the falls, but under. I am going to attempt the "Hurricane Deck" at the Cave of the Winds................if it's not too high up. It's the spot from the Marilyn Monroe/Joseph Cotten movie, "Niagara" which is my favorite Marilyn movie. Except that she has her husband murdered there. Don't worry Steve, I KNOW nobody in Niagara (kidding hon). We will post pics in a couple of days.

So very great to hear from everyone who reads the blog. We don't "blog" every day, which I know you may be grateful for.

Leaving here early Saturday to go to Kayuta Lake near Utica, NY. Will be there for a week. On a lake, things to do nearby so I am looking forward to that.

Other than that, all is good. I'm off to bed again, as we have a busy day tomorrow.

Miss you all...if anyone wants to send us their snail mail address, we would love to send more postcards!

Take care,

Kathy